Mills Pond NY and Mills Genealogy

Last Update:

Edward H. Mills’ ancestors were early settlers of Edward’s birthplace, the Town of Smithtown on Long Island, and to this day the Mills Pond District is named for them.

The Mills on Long Island were of English descent and it would seem quite clear that they came from Yorkshire, England, to this country about 1630, locating at first in New England and some of them soon after on Long Island. The Hempstead settlement on Long Island, which began about 1644 and where the name of George Mills was found on the town records, was called a Yorkshire settlement. When Long Island was captured by the English from the Dutch they found on the west end a Yorkshire settlement called Long Island Yorkshire.
— 28 Jul 1894, Port Jervis Union, Port Jervis NY, p2,

The following two accounts of George Mills are presented for completeness, but note there are inconsistent points between them:

No. 1:–GEORGE MILLS, the progenitor of this family of Mills in America, was born in 16[??] in a parish in England, the name of which has not been recovered in this essay, and he came over in or before 1631-1632 (in which year his son Samuel Mills was born in this Country…) George Mills appears first in contemporary records, as a resident of the town of Hempstead, Long Island, in 1656, a town which had been settled in 1644 by some thirty or forty families from Stamford, Connecticut. Evidently, he had joined this settlement between those two years, but coming from what previous place, supposedly in New England, searches made for this account have not discovered. …

01 May 1939, A Documentary history of the family of Mills : descended from George Mills of Hempstead and Jamaica by Lewis D. Cook, p1, View largest available size.

Among those from Stamford CT who settled Hempstead Long Island are Captain John Seaman, an ancestor of Mary Ann (Pine) Mills.

This genealogy relates to the Suffolk County branch of the family, descendants of TIMOTHY MILLS who settled at Smithtown in 1693. The other branch remained at Jamaica. Members of both branches were fairly numerous during the 18th and first half of the 19th centuries, but are now greatly reduced.

Among the early settlers of Jamaica L. I. was GEORGE MILLS1 born in 1585 and died aged 89, Oct. 17, 1674 at Jamaica. He was probably a descendant of John Mills who was made freeman of Boston in 1632. Children were Samuel2 and Nathaniel2 who d. Nov. 4, 1728.

SAMUEL MILLS2 was born in 1631, md. in 1658 and was reputed to have had 16 children. He died at Jamaica March 9, 1726, aged 95. Among his children was Timothy.3

TIMOTHY MILLS3 (Samuel2) born at Jamaica in 1667, was the progenitor of the Suffolk Co. Mills and moved to that part of Smithtown since called Mills Pond in 1693. He died March 30th 1751 aged 84. His will bears date of March 16, 1741. He married first Elizabeth, family name unknown and secondly Sarah Longbotham.

The settlement of Mills Pond is a collection of dignified old houses surrounded by a small pond situated on the North Country road about four miles east of the village of Smithtown Branch. It lies within the town of Smithtown and has always been the residence of one or more members of the family since the days of Timothy Mills the common ancestor. Mr. Dubois Smith, a grandson of William Wickham Mills, is the present owner of the Pond and the Mills homestead.

1919, Genealogies of Long Island families : a collection of genealogies relating to the following Long Island families: Dickerson, Mitchill, Wickham, Carman, Raynor, Rushmore, Satterly, Hawkins, Arthur Smith, Mills, Howard, Lush, Greene, Compiled by Charles J. Werner, Mainly From Records Left By Benjamin F. Thompson, Historian of Long Island, p105, Logan Utah FamilySearch Library, View largest available size.

The original Mills Homestead, now more commonly called the Mills Pond House, built by Timothy Mills and added onto by William Wickham Mills, still exists today “to exhibit the artwork of regional and national artists. The arts council also holds art classes and special events for residents of all ages.” (Mills Pond Gallery, The Mills Pond District, which includes nine buildings, the Mills Pond House among them, was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1973. (Mills Pond District (St. James, New York),

Historic American Buildings Survey, Creator, et al. Mills Pond House, 660 North Country Road State Route 25A, Saint James, Suffolk County NY. Documentation Compiled After. Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <>. View largest available size.

In an elegant old home on North Country Road in St. James, visitors can find the impressive art gallery of the Smithtown Township Arts Council. The structure, known as the Mills Pond House, holds the work of talented artists and also represents a piece of Smithtown history.

It was Timothy Mills who bought the land from one of our town founder’s sons in 1693, according to “Colonel Rockwell’s Scrap-Book” published by the Smithtown Historical Society in 1968. As the sons of Timothy Mills married, houses were built around the pond found on the land.

In the early 1700s, the area became known as Mills Pond. According to the Smithtown Township Arts Council’s website, the area was originally called Cuttscunsuck, which means two small ponds in the Algonquian language.

The original house that was built by Timothy Mills before 1700 was partially destroyed by a fire, according to “Colonel Rockwell’s Scrap-book”. William Wickham Mills, a descendant of Timothy, restored the damaged part of the house and built a three-story addition in 1838.

Smithtown historian Bradley Harris said William Wickham Mills was one of the richest men in Suffolk County. He was a farmer and also a prominent landlord owning a large amount of land in Smithtown’s Landing area. William Wickham Mills also served as Town Supervisor of Smithtown from 1838 – 1841.

According to the arts council website, a noted New York City architect by the name of Calvin Pollard designed the Mills Pond House. An example of Grecian design, materials such as English glass, Connecticut stone and Santo Domingo mahogany were used contributing to its elegance.

Harris said, “It was the most magnificent house in Smithtown.”

According to the scrap-book, in 1846 a daughter of William Wickham Mills married into Smithtown’s Smith family. When he died in 1865, his grandson Dubois Smith inherited the home and land. It was later passed on to Dubois Smith’s two daughters Josephine and Mildred Smith, who donated the house to the Town of Smithtown in 1976.

Soon after the donation of the home to the town, the Smithtown Township Arts Council has been using the Mills Pond House to exhibit the artwork of regional and national artists. The arts council also holds art classes and special events for residents of all ages.

Despite modern adaptations such as gallery lighting and handicap access, the structure has remained basically unchanged. Visitors to the home can still find formal porticoes and marble mantelpieces.

The regal Mills Pond House provides the perfect location to expose Smithtown residents to art and also reminds us of a noted local family and our rich history.

— Rita J. Egan, "Smithtown, A History: Mills Pond House",

A portrait of William Wickham Mills is presented further below in connection with the artist William Sidney Mount.

Many photos of the Mills Pond House, both historic and contemporary, exist online and in collections such as the Library of Congress. As an historic building, there is also substantial documentation on the structure itself, including detailed information on renovations and restorations over the generations, that is publicly available. Just to the west of the Mills Pond House is the Mills Cemetery (also referred to as Mills Pond Cemetery, Mills Burying Ground, and Mills Graveyard) where many of Emily’s ancestors are buried.

Edward H. Mills has partial entries on the following Mills family genealogies:

  1. Descendants of George Mills of Yorkshire and Long Island, New York at That site is now defunct and the contact information for it is no longer valid, however, an archived version exists, and I was able to locate its creator on Facebook to let him know about this documentation on Edward. This genealogy is dated 07 Aug 2003.

  2. Genealogies of Long Island families : a collection of genealogies relating to the following Long Island families: Dickerson, Mitchill, Wickham, Carman, Raynor, Rushmore, Satterly, Hawkins, Arthur Smith, Mills, Howard, Lush, Greene, Compiled by Charles J. Werner, Mainly From Records Left By Benjamin F. Thompson, Historian of Long Island, Logan Utah FamilySearch Library, This genealogy is dated 1919.

  3. A Documentary History of the Family of Mills : descended from George Mills of Hempstead and Jamaica by Lewis D. Cook, This genealogy is dated 01 May 1939 and appears to use #2 above as a source. “With notes on the Miller and Hawkins families compiled for Frances Paton Mills (Mrs. Robert B. Carnahan, Jr.) of New York City.”


  1. ANNA7 d. March 29, 1794 aged 9 months 6 days. Buried at Mills Pond.

  2. JONAS DAVID7 b. May 2, 1795 md. Mary d. of Thomas Hallock on Feb. 25, 1818. She was b. Dec. 8, 1798 and d. March 1827 leaving Edward H.,8 b. March 25, 1819; Emily Tabitha,8 b. June 19, 1821, md. John S. Huntting in Nov. 1843; and Thomas James8 b. Feb. 13, 1827. He md. again Mary Platt d. of Jedediah Mills5 (Jonas,4 Timothy,3 Samuel2) on April 25, 1831 and had Sarah Maria8 b. Sept. 21, 1832 and d. April 25, 1834; and Robert Sydney8 b. Nov. 11, 1835.

  3. JESSE7 b. Sept. 15, 1797 md. Martha d. of Abraham Smith, Jan. 28, 1824, who d. Dec. 2, 1845 aged 42, leaving Egbert Smith,8 George E.,8 and Anna Bryant,8 who md. Edwin Smith.

  4. GEORGE PHILLIPS7 b. May 31, 1801, md. Sarah d. of Thomas Hallock Jan. 1, 1833 and had Mary A.,8 Charles E.,8 and George Thomas.8 Mr. George Phillips Mills was born at Smithtown, attended the district school and later Clinton Academy, Easthampton. He resided at Smithtown until 1844 when he removed to Bellport and engaged in farming. He was Supervisor of Brookhaven town from 1847 to 1851 and represented the western district of Suffolk County in the State Assembly in 1858. He died at Bellport, March 6, 1868 and is buried in the Presbyterian church-yard, Smithtown.

1919, Genealogies of Long Island families : a collection of genealogies relating to the following Long Island families: Dickerson, Mitchill, Wickham, Carman, Raynor, Rushmore, Satterly, Hawkins, Arthur Smith, Mills, Howard, Lush, Greene, Compiled by Charles J. Werner, Mainly From Records Left By Benjamin F. Thompson, Historian of Long Island, p109, Logan Utah FamilySearch Library, View largest available size.


No. 179. JONAS DAVIS MILLS, born 2 May 1795, died [missing], eldest of the three sons of no. 89. George and Tabitha (Davis) Mills (q.v., page 58); married first Mary Hallock, daughter of Thomas Hallock, on 25 February 1818. She was born 8 December 1798 and died in March 1827. He married secondly, 25 April 1831, Mary Platt Mills (no. 148.) born 30 January 1801; who died 18 June 1881; daughter of no. 76 Jedediah and Elizabeth (Mills) Mills of Mills Pond, Smithtown, Suffolk County, L.I. (q.v., pages 53-54.)

CHILDREN of No. 179. JONAS DAVIS MILLS & 1st. wf. MARY (Hallock):-

  1. Edward H. Mills, b. 25 Mar 1819.

  2. Emily Tabitha Mills, b. 19 June 1821; mar. in Nov. 1843, John S. Huntting.

  3. Thomas James Mills, b. 13 Feb. 1827.

CHILDREN of No. 179. JONAS DAVIS MILLS & 2nd. wf. MARY P. (Mills):

  1. Sarah Maria Mills, b. 21 Sept. 1832; d. 25 Apr 1834.

  2. Robert Sydney Mills, b. 11 Nov. 1835.

01 May 1939, A Documentary history of the family of Mills : descended from George Mills of Hempstead and Jamaica by Lewis D. Cook, p64-65, View largest available size.

John B. Mills, who has done considerable genealogical research on his family, confirms that the 1939 A Documentary History of the Family of Mills. is “very accurate”. (14 Feb 2024, personal correspondence.) I also asked John for any information on Edward’s family that he may have encountered in his own research.

The only Edward Mills I have found so far is from NJ. 6th generation from George Mills. Born 1749. Died at Morristown, NJ. Married Phebe Byram. I think they are a different branch of the Mills family. George, Jonathan, Samuel, Samuel, Samuel, Edward.

— 03 Mar 2024, John B. Mills, personal correspondence.

What follows is based initially on the data from the archived version of with supplemental or contradictory information from other sources in brackets, beginning with Edward’s parents:

583. Jonas Davis Mills (George , Isaac , Isaac , Timothy , Jonathan , George ) was born on 2 May 1795. He died on 30 Jan 1882.

Jonas married (1) Mary Hallock [daughter of Thomas Hallock, on 25 Dec [Feb] 1818 in [Smithtown], Long Island, New York. Mary was born on 8 Dec 1798 [in Mills Pond NY]. She died on 2 Mar 1827 [in Smithtown].

They had the following children:

Jonas married (2) Mary Platt Mills daughter of Jedediah Mills and Elizabeth [(Mills)] Mills [of Mills Pond] on 25 Apr 1831. Mary was born on 30 Jan 1801 in Long Island, New York. She died on 18 Jun 1881.

They had the following children:

  • 1032 F iv Sarah Maria Mills is printed as #623. …born on 21 Sep 1832. She died on 25 Apr 1834.
  • 1033 M v Robert Sydney Mills is printed as #624. …born on 11 Nov 1835.

Add to these genealogies, Edward’s branch to its ultimate conclusion:

1030. Edward Hallock Mills (born 25 Mar 1819, Smithtown NY, died 01 Jan 1908, Brookton NY).

Edward married (1) Mary Ann (Pine) Mills (born 08 Feb 1819, Hempstead NY, died 28 Dec 1895, Brookton NY) on 29 Dec 1850.


  • Jonas Edward Mills (born 18 Feb 1852, Staten Island NY, 1852, died 14 Oct 1885, Brookton NY).
  • Horace Franklin Mills (born 04 Aug 1854, Staten Island NY, 1854, died 21 Oct 1876, Corfu NY).
  • James Wheelock Mills (born 1856?, Staten Island NY, died between 31 July 1857 and 19 Jun 1860, Staten Island NY).
  • Mary Emily Mills who went by “Emily” and often signed her name as “M. Emily Mills” (born Dec 1858, Staten Island NY, died 03 Nov 1937, Brooktondale NY).

None of Edward’s children married or had children.

Edward married (2) Hannah (Thatcher) Eastman Mills (born Hawkhurst, Kent, England, 21 May 1824, died 12 Feb 1917, Brookton NY) on 30 Dec 1896.

  • No children.


  • According to WikiTree Mary (Hallock) Mills was born in Mills Pond and “is interred at the Old Cemetery, Smithtown, Suffolk, NY.” This source also confirms that her father is Thomas, but gives his birth year as 1775. Read more about Thomas Hallock’s identity in the Hallock section of this research.
  • That there are conflicting accounts for the month of Jonas and Mary Hallock’s marriage is suggestive, as December would mean that Edward was conceived before his parents were married, February would not.
  • Edward’s middle name Hallock was his Mother’s maiden name. Although most typically spelled “Hallock” there are occasionally alternate spellings of this name in the Mills and Hallock genealogies, such as “Halliock” and “Hallioch”. For more information on the various spellings of Hallock see this section.
  • Mary Platt’s parents were also members of Smithtown Presbyterian Church.
  • Emily’s and Hannah’s birth dates was well as the birth places for Emily, Jonas and Horace are based on census entries.
  • It appears Edward named his second son after his father, and Emily may get her middle name from Edward’s sister who passed over a decade before Emily was born.
  • More than one source corroborates that Emily Tabitha Mills married John Smith Huntting on 14 Dec 1843.
  • Further below, I will demonstrate that Edward’s brother, listed in each genealogy as “Thomas James Mills” was in fact James Thomas Mills, born 13 Feb 1827.

Several of the marriages above and below are referenced in the volume Early marriage records of the Mills family in the United States : official and authoritative records of Mills marriages in the original states and colonies from 1628 to 1865 published in 1916 by William Montgomery Clemens, accessed via

Mills, Elizabeth and Jedediah Mills, 17 February, 1784, Smithtown, L. I., N. Y.

Mills, Emily S. and John S. Huntting, 14 December, 1843, Smithtown, L. I., N. Y.

1916, Early marriage records of the Mills family in the United States : official and authoritative records of Mills marriages in the original states and colonies from 1628 to 1865 by William Montgomery Clemens, p34, View largest available size.

… At Smithtown, Smith Huntting to Miss Emily T. Mills. …

17 Dec 1843, The Brooklyn Evening Star, Brooklyn NY, p2, View largest available size.

Mills, Jedediah and Elizabeth Mills, 17 February, 1784, Smithtown, L. I., N. Y.

Mills, Jerusha and Rueben Pine, 24 November, 1780, State License.

1916, Early marriage records of the Mills family in the United States : official and authoritative records of Mills marriages in the original states and colonies from 1628 to 1865 by William Montgomery Clemens, p35, View largest available size.

Mills, Jonas and Elizabeth Smith, 22 August, 1787, Smithtown, L. I., N. Y.

Mills, Jonas and Mary Mills, 25 April, 1831, Smithtown, L. I., N. Y.

1916, Early marriage records of the Mills family in the United States : official and authoritative records of Mills marriages in the original states and colonies from 1628 to 1865 by William Montgomery Clemens, p36, View largest available size.

It is perhaps interesting to note that in Genealogies of Long Island Families, it is said about William Henry Mills (03 Apr 1836 to 28 Dec 1900), grandson of Jedediah and Elizabeth Mills, Mary Platt’s parents: “At the age of nineteen William Henry Mills engaged in the mercantile business in Staten Island and continued thusly for four years when he returned to Smithtown” (p109). This is corroborated by A Documentary History of the Family of Mills:

At the age of nineteen William Henry Mills7 engaged in the mercantile business in Staten Island and continued thusly for four years when he returned to Smithtown. On Feb. 16, 1863 he married Rebecca S. Dunham, daughter of Henry H. Dunham of New York, who was born in 1838. They had Lillian E.,8 Henry D.,8 and Charles J.8

1919, Genealogies of Long Island families : a collection of genealogies relating to the following Long Island families: Dickerson, Mitchill, Wickham, Carman, Raynor, Rushmore, Satterly, Hawkins, Arthur Smith, Mills, Howard, Lush, Greene, Compiled by Charles J. Werner, Mainly From Records Left By Benjamin F. Thompson, Historian of Long Island, p109, Logan Utah FamilySearch Library, View largest available size.

  1. William Henry Mills, b. 3 April 1836; d. 28 Dec. 1900; a mercht. on S.I. 1845-9; returned to Smithtown, L.I.; mar 16 Feb. 1863, Rebecca S. Dunham, dau. of Henry H. Dunham of N.Y.C., and had issue :- 1. Lillian E. Mills; 2. Henry D. Mills; 3. Charles J. Mills.

01 May 1939, A Documentary history of the family of Mills : descended from George Mills of Hempstead and Jamaica by Lewis D. Cook, p62, View largest available size.

In other words, William Henry’s time in Staten Island, approximately 1855 to 1859, is a period during which Edward Mills’ family was known to be living in Staten Island, Edward himself engaged in what might be described as “the mercantile business”. In fact, Edward’s career was described in a strikingly similar way on 31 Dec 1895, The Daily News, Batavia NY, p1, in Mary Ann Mills’ obituary, which describes Edward’s move from Corfu to Mott’s Corners as him “re-engaging in mercantile pursuits”.


Jonas D. Mills, who died recently in Hempstead, had lived in that town 45 years.

06 Feb 1882, The New York Times, New York NY, p8, View largest available size.

—On Monday evening of last week one of the old residents of Hempstead died. Mr. Jonas D. Mills, who was born at Stony Brook, [Suffolk County?], May [unclear day and year], making him at the time of his death, 86 years, 8 months, and 28 days old. In his young days he learned the wheelwright trade, which at that time included the undertaking business. He subsequently took up farming in Queens County, but for the past 30 years he has not been actively engaged in business. He was married twice, and had two daughters and three sons, the latter still living—Edward H., J. Thomas, and Robert S. Mills. He came to this town about 1838, locating at Trimming (now Franklin) Square; in 1837 he came to this village, where he has ever since resided, with the exception of a few years. He always enjoyed good health, never needing a physician, and died of old age.

—Hempstead Sentinel

Mr. Mills was the father of J. Thomas Mills of Huntington.

10 Feb 1882, The Long-Islander, Huntington NY, p3, View largest available size.

Jonas’ obituary, noted that he lived in Hempstead “with the exception of a few years”, which included 1850, where he is recorded in the United States Federal Census in Islip NY, at age 55, a “farmer”. The family appears to return to Smithtown by 1851, when Mary Platt is readmitted to Smithtown Presbyterian on 03 Jan 1851 and then returns to Hempstead as evidenced by her removal from the church, “by certificate to Hempstead” 05 Jun 1858.

15 Sep 1850, United States Federal Census, Islip NY, p18, View largest available size.

Sessional Records of Smithtown L. Island, 1809 to 1850, No 11, U.S., Presbyterian Church Records, 1701-1970, Philadelphia PA, p158, View largest available size.

It should be noted that Edward’s brother born on 13 Feb 1827 is James Thomas Mills (also written as J. Thomas Mills) NOT Thomas James Mills. The confusion with the name may arise because it seems that he commonly wrote his name as “J. Thomas Mills”, and based on the obituary for his son Watts, this was apparently often shortened to just “Thomas”. Also, in some census records, it does appear that his name is written as Thomas J. Otherwise, the only places that give “Thomas” as his first name are the two main Mills genealogies cited as 2 and 3 in the list above, and source 3 likely transcribed this from source 2, as a close examination of the each will show that source 3 itself relies heavily on source 2. That 1827 is James’ birth year is corroborated by multiple sources, and suggests his birth may have had something to do with his mother’s death a few weeks later. And so, the cited genealogical entries can be updated accordingly:

  • M iii James Thomas Mills was born on 13 Feb 1827 in New York City. He died 22 Apr 1915 in Huntington NY.
J. Thomas Mills, An Old Resident Who Passed Away This Week.

23 Apr 1915, The Long-Islander, Huntington NY, p5, View largest available size.

J. Thomas Mills, An Old Resident Who Passed Away This Week.

23 Apr 1915, The Long-Islander, Huntington NY, p5, View largest available size.

Friday, April 23, 1915.


J. Thomas Mills.

One of Huntington’s oldest and most highly respected residents, J. Thomas Mills, passed away early Thursday morning, at the age of 88 years. He had suffered several strokes of paralysis, and had failed gradually since the last attack, some ten days ago.

Mr. Mills was not born in Suffolk County, but he was only two weeks and two days old when he first came to old Suffolk. He first saw the light of day at Cherry street, New York City, February 13, 1827. He was the son of Jonas D. Mills and Mary Hallock, a Smithtown woman, and before he was three weeks old, his parents came up to Smithtown on a large sailing vessel, to make their home. When young Mills was 18 years of age his people apprenticed him to Samuel Scudder, in this village, to learn the tailoring trade. The shop was over the Huntington House, where many of the dandies of two generations ago secured the latest cut garments. The young man stayed with Scudder until he was married to Ann Eliza, daughter of Barney Manney, in 1848, when he secured a more lucrative position with Jonas Pearsall at the same business. After some five or six years at the Pearsall shop he gave up the trade and assisted his father-in-law, who had a nice farm at Long Swamp (as it was then called) at farming and team work. In 1871 Mr. Mills took the position as sexton of the Huntington Rural Cemetery, which place he faithfully held until 1905.

Huntington has changed most wonderfully since the time Mr. Mills plied the needle in the local tailoring shops. Then on the south side of Main street the principal buildings were Shepard’s bakery, Hopper’s hat store, Scudder’s general country store, a shoe shop and the Suffolk Hotel, while a large locust-grove stood on the present site of the Brush block and Central Church property. On the other side of the street the principal structures were the Zophar Oakley store, near the site of the present Stevens block; Jonas Pearsall’s tailoring shop, where the Goldstein store is now located; Isaac Adams’ tinshop, where stands the First National Bank; the Huntington House, kept by Samuel Scudder, now conducted by A. Finnegan, and the residences of George A Scudder and Daniel Sammis.

Eight children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Mills, of whom four are living. Mrs. Mills passed away in 1880. They are: George, Alonzo, Watts and Clarissa, the widow of Edward Etsell, all of this place.

The funeral services will be held at the home of his son, George Mills, on Wall street, with whom he lived, Saturday, at 2 o’clock, in charge of the Rev. Samuel H. Seem, pastor of the Central Presbyterian Church, of which deceased was a member. The interment will be in the Huntington Rural Cemetery.

23 Apr 1915, The Long-Islander, Huntington NY, p5, View largest available size.

As he was then a child, presumably James moved with his family to Hempstead in the mid-1830’s, where the Mills and the Pines attended Christ’s First Presbyterian Church in Hempstead, and where the surname Watts can be found.

Several of James’ children died in infancy, and were re-buried at Huntington Rural Cemetery on 22 May 1857:

One of the oldest "rural cemeteries" in Suffolk County, Huntington Rural Cemetery was established in 1853, during the "Rural Cemetery" movement of pre-Civil War America. ...As with many "rural cemeteries" across the country, burials from older family or farm cemeteries were moved to Huntington Rural Cemetery over the decades. Thus you will find dates long before 1853, some back into the 18th century, among the burials in this cemetery.
— Huntington Rural Cemetery,

There is also a census entry for a daughter Cora M. born Jan 1871. This is Cora M. (Mills) Van Nostrand (Jan 1871 to 18 Oct 1908), sometimes written simply as “Cora Nostrand”. Cora is listed in the Index to the Huntington Rural Cemetery 1853-1990. “She suffered greatly until death relieved her.”


Mrs. Cora Mills Van Nostrand Died as Result of Using Defective Gas Tube.

HUNTINGTON, Oct. 20.—Funeral services were held to-day at the residence of George Mills in this place for Mrs. Cora Mills Van Nostrand, wife of Albert Van Nostrand, of Manhattan, who died on Sunday, the result of burns received ten days previous. Mrs. Van Nostrand lighted a gas stove, the feed tube of which had, become leaky. The flames from the explosion that followed burned her arms, face and back, very badly. She suffered greatly until death relieved her. She was 37 years of age, a daughter of Thomas Mills, who survives her. She was married to Mr. Van Nostrand four years ago. A sister, Mrs. Edward Estell, and three brothers, George, Alonzo and Watts Mills, all of this village, also survive her.

20 Oct 1908, Times Union, Brooklyn NY, p9, View largest available size.

The first three names of possible heirs listed in the Mills’ home deeds from the time of Emily’s death are the children of J. Thomas Mills:

At the time I am compiling this information, does not have entries for all the Mills in Huntington Rural Cemetery:

Index To The Huntington Rural Cemetery 1853-1990. Compiled by the Genealogy Workshop of the Huntington Historical Society, Huntington, New York. p100. View largest available size.

And the 1900 census is worth highlighting for the density of information it contains, including that J. Thomas and his sons George and Alonzo were all neighbors on Wall Street in Huntington:

01 Jun 1900, United States Federal Census, Huntington NY, p1, View largest available size.

Alonzo’s daughter Sarah (Mills) Reddy (18 Jun 1883 to 02 Aug 1911) died in an accident very similar to Cora’s a few years earlier. Understandably, Sarah’s gravestone is inscribed “I have suffered”.


Injuries of Severe Nature Received by Huntington Woman—Neighbors Break in to Help.

HUNTINGTON, July 19.—Mrs, William Reddy, a young married woman of this villiage, residing on Curley avenue, is suffering from very severe burns which may result fatally. Mrs. Reddy’s clothes caught fire probably from hot coals when she emptied the grate in her kitchen stove at 6:15 last evening. Her screams attracted neighbors who rushed to her aid and who had to cut through a screen door to enter the house. Crazed by her pains, and before the neighbors could extinguish the flames, she rushed to the dooryard and was unmanageable, running around as the flames burned her clothes all off, save her corsets. Her body, legs, hands and arms were frightfully burned, but her face escaped with but slight injury.

Physicians were attending to her within a_ very few minutes after she was burned.

Mrs. Reddy, who was Miss Sarah Mills, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Alonzo Mills, has a nine-months-old baby.

19 Jul 1911, The Times Union, Brooklyn NY, pp24, View largest available size.


Mrs. Reddy of Huntington, Bride of a Year, Succumbs to Injuries.

(Special to The Eagle.)

Huntington, L. 1., August 2—Mrs. William Reddy of this place, who was severely burned about two weeks ago, while at work In her kitchen, died last night at her home here. It was reported only a few days ago that Mrs. Reddy was practically out of danger, but a sudden turn for the worse set In yesterday, from which she failed to rally.

Mrs. Reddy was only 18 years old, the pride of a year. She is survived by her husband and a little child.

Before her marriage she was Miss Sarah Mills, the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Alonzo Mills.

02 Aug 1911, The Brooklyn Daily Eagle, Brooklyn NY, pp3, View largest available size.

The “nine-months-old baby” was Arthur A. Reddy (05 Nov 1910 to 15 Nov 1937) who also died at a young age, leaving behind a small child:


Arthur A. Reddy, 27, of 14 Park Place, and Gerald Kane, 29, of Brooklyn, Die In Auto Accident.

Two accidents in the general vicinity of Huntington resulted in two deaths and the very serious injury of a third person on Monday. The two men killed were State Troopers Arthur Reddy, of Park Place, just off Clinton Place, Huntington, and Jerry Kane, who was at one time connected with the Huntington Barracks of the State Troopers.

The injured person was Mrs. Grace Fairman of Church Street, Northport, wife of David Fairman, attorney in W. B. Codling’s office at Northport.

The Troopers were killed instantly on Main Street, near Wyandanch. This is a highway which parallels the motor parkway, from Lower Melville to Wyandanch village. Their car skidded on the wet pavement about noon and overturned, pinning them under the wreckage.

Dr. George T. McMurray of Farmingdale, who was summoned to the scene of the accident, pronounced both dead. The bodies were removed to the J. Henry Daily Funeral Home, Babylon, and later shipped to their respective homes.

Trooper Gerald Kane was 29 years old, and had been in the service for five years. He was the son of Mr. and Mrs. John A. Kane of 320 Fourth Street, Brooklyn. Besides his parents, he is survived by two brothers, Joseph B. Kane and Edmunde Kane, and two sisters, Muriel V. Kane and Mrs. Grace Brunner. His father is employed in the Corporation Counsel’s office, New York. Funeral services were held Thursday morning in the Immaculate Heart of Mary R. C. Church, Brooklyn. Interment followed in Holy Cross Cemetery.

Trooper Arthur A. Reddy, 27, is the son of William Reddy. Besides his father and stepmother, he leaves his widow, Mrs, Florence Schuh Reddy, and a 22-year-old daughter, Barbara.

Mrs. Fairman, about 30 years old, was seriously injured when thrown out of a car she was driving as it struck a tree off Route 25A between Huntington and Centerport. Her baby, who was being carried in a car cradle in the car, was also thrown out but escaped serious Injury.

Sergeant Clarence Philips and Patrolman Bert O’Neil of the Huntington police, investigated the accident. Mrs. Fairman was thrown out when a door was forced open by the impact. She is in the Huntington Hospital suffering from a broken nose, compound fracture of the jaw, compound fracture of the leg, a brain concussion and a possible fracture of the skull. She is being treated by Dr. Cyril Drysdale.

19 Nov 1937, The Long Islander, Huntington NY, p11, View largest available size.

Alonzo W. Mills

Alonzo W. Mills, a life-long resident of Huntington and one of the organizers of the Engine Company of the Huntington Fire Department, passed away at his home in the Firemen’s Home, Hudson, N. Y., yesterday, May 6.

He was born in Huntington June 11, 1858 the son of the late Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Mills and had lived here all his life. He was an organizing member of the Engine Co., of Huntington Fire Department and one of the charter members of the Fire Department, He was also a member of the Ellsworth Lodge of Odd Fellows and had been a sexton of the Methodist Church for years,

He was affiliated with Ellsworth Lodge on March 1, 1906 and was presented with a 35-year veterans’ button last Fall when representatives of the Lodge visited him and other Odd Fellows from Huntington, who were at the Firemen’s Home.

Surviving are his brother, George Mills, also a resident at the Home and a sister, Mrs, Richard Edsell of Huntington Station. His wife, Louise, died several years ago. His grandson’s wife, Mrs, Arthur Reddy and his great-grandchild also survive,

Odd Fellows services will be held Friday evening at 8 o’clock at the M. A. Connell Funeral Home on New York Avenue and will be followed by services of the Huntington Fire Department at 8:30 o’clock. The Rev. Paul H, Pallmeyer will officiate at religious services and interment will be in the family plot at the Huntington Rural Cemetery,

07 May 1942, The Long Islander, Huntington NY, p4, View largest available size.

Mrs. George E. Mills.

Monday afternoon at. 2. o’clock the Rev. Samuel H. Seem conducted the funeral services over the remains Mrs. Alice Ann Mills, wife of George Mills. The services, which took place at the late home, were attended by a large delegation of firemen, Mr. Mills having been foreman the Engine Company more than twenty years.

Mrs. Mills died the Friday evening previous after suffering for some time from diabetes. She.was born in Brooklyn 55 years ago, the daughter Joseph Pettit and Ann Rebecca wood. In 1882 she married George Mills, who with one son, Joseph Thomas survives, Interment took place in the Huntington Rural Cemetery.

12 Jan 1917, The Long Islander, Huntington NY, p5, View largest available size.


George Mills and George Taylor to Benefit by Event.

Huntington, Nov. 14.—Two aged members of the Huntington Volunteer Fire Department, both of whom are members of the family at the Firemen’s Home at Hudson, N. ¥., will be honored by the department at a party to be given in a headquarters on Friday, Dec. 11.

The “old timers” are George Mills and George Taylor, The proceeds of the party will be used to meet the expenses of bringing the former members back here for visits periodically during the coming year and for clothes.

On the committee in charge are Deputy Chief Arthur Hubbs, general chairman; Charles Van Sise, Harry Shadbolt, L. McFarlane; John Schlim and Everett Strickland, Former Chief Edward McGaul will be master of ceremonies. Both Mills and Taylor have resided at the Firemen’s Home for several years. Early in the fall a delegation of about 30 members of the local department visited the two in the home. The Fire Department Band went along and gave a concert for the benefit of group at the home.

15 Nov 1936, Times Union, Brooklyn NY, p9, View largest available size.


Huntington, April 10—George Mills, 88, oldest member of the Huntington Fire Department, died yesterday at the Firemen’s Home, Hudson, N. Y. He was a native of this village, the son of the late Mr. and Mrs. J. Thomas Mills, and lived here until 14 years ago when he went to the Firemen’s Home.

Joining the old engine company here in 1884, Mr. Mills continued with the outfit when it merged with other units to form a department and retained his membership until his death. He was foreman of the engine company for 25 years, and highly prized a gold badge presented him sometime ago in recognition of his services.

Retaining his interest to the last in the local fire department, Mr. Mills made it a point to be present at each reunion here for the last 14 years. The trip twice a year to and from his home town was made in the local department chief’s car.

Mr. Mills was a member of Ellsworth Lodge of Odd Fellows, which he joined 45 years ago. His wife Mrs. Alice Pettit Mills, died in 1919. A brother, Alonzo Mills, died in the State Firemen’s Home several years ago. The only survivor is a sister, Mrs. Clarice Edsall of Huntington.

Arrangements have been made by the Fire Department to have him brought to Huntington for burial.

10 Apr 1944, The Brooklyn Daily Eagle, Brooklyn NY, p9, View largest available size.

The last name listed as a possible heir in the Mills’ home deeds, Mary Huntting Smith, is likely a reference to Emily’s cousin, or perhaps a descendent of Emily’s cousin:

Several documents pertaining to Emily Tabitha (Mills) Huntting’s marriage were included above. Emily T. and John Huntting had another daughter, Emily Mills Huntting (02 Apr 1849 to 1932), and her birth is presumably related to Emily T. Huntting’s death nine days later. It appears to be Emily Mills Huntting who is referenced in the sales records of the Mills’ store as “Emily Huntting”.

…At Smithtown, on the 11th inst., Emily, wife of John S. Huntting, aged about 26 years.

18 Apr 1849, The Corrector, Sag Harbor NY, p3, View largest available size.


Riverhead, L. I. November 5—Yesterday Surrogate Nathan D. Petty of the Suffolk County Surrogate’s Court sent Emily Mills Huntting of Smithtown to the Long Island State Hospital for the Insane. The certificates were signed by Drs. Browning and Fanning.

05 Nov 1898, The Brooklyn Daily Eagle, Brooklyn NY, p9, View largest available size.


Miss Emily Mills Huntting, daughter of the late John Smith Huntting of Smithtown, passed away at the Chapin Home in Jamaica, New York on Thursday, April 14th.

Funeral services will be held from Darling’s Funeral Parlor in Smithtown Branch on Saturday, April 16th, at 2:30 p. m. Burial in the Smithtown Cemetery.

15 Apr 1932, The Messenger, Smithtown NY, p5, View largest available size.

Miss Emily Huntting

Miss Emily Huntting passed away Thursday last at the Chapin Home in Jamaica. Funeral services were held Saturday afternoon from the Darling Funeral Parlors on Landing avenue with Dr. Edward Abbey officiating and interment tool place in the Smithtown Cemetery.

22 Apr 1932, The Long Islander, Huntington NY, p11, View largest available size.

Mary Emily Huntting (Smith) Cross (1875-1924) was yet another family member to die in “an unusual accident”:

Bus Kills Woman Said To Be Dazed

Northport, L. I., Dec. 27—Mrs. Mary Cross, 49, wife of James Cross, is dead at her home here today as the result of an unusual accident. She was run over by a local bus and, according to Dr. Roger Dexter, died instantly.

Mrs. Cross returned last evening from Kings Park, where she had visited her mother and brothers over Christmas. Other Northport passengers on the train from Kings Park say she gave indications of being dazed. She took the bus a the local station and descended from it before her home. She took two steps away from the vehicle then turned and walked into it. She plunged under the rear wheel as the vehicle started off.

The bus was driven by Kenneth Smith, assisted by George Whittaker.

27 Dec 1924, The Brooklyn Daily Eagle, Brooklyn NY, p2, View largest available size.

Woman Is Killed, Run Over By Bus

Northport Victim, Returning From Visit, Slipped as She Left Vehicle to Enter Home Nearby.

Northport, Dec. 27—Mrs. Mary Cross, aged 49, wife of James Cross, was killed yesterday afternoon about 1 o’clock when she fell underneath a bus of the Northport Traction Company, the rear wheel passing over her head.

Dr. Roger Dexter, whose office is nearby, was called. Death was instantaneous.

The accident occurred in front of the Methodist Church on Main street, next door to which Mrs. Cross lived. She had boarded the bus at the railroad station, on her return from Kings Park.

The bus was operated by Kenneth Smith with Alfred Whittaker as conductor. The bus halted at the regulation stop in front of the church. Whittaker, as is his custom, stepped off the bus and assisted several passengers to the street. Mrs. Cross was the last to leave. When all was clear Whittaker stepped back into the bus which started slowly off.

The entrance and exit of the bus is at the front on the right side and it was necessary for Mrs. Cross to wait for the bus to pass to cross over to her home. When she left the bus Miss Cross walked a short distance in the opposite direction and then turned back and suddenly fell. It was thought at first she may have slipped on ice but at this particular place where the accident occurred was clear, and it is possible she was taken with a fainting spell. Coroner W. B. Gibson was notified.

Mr. and Mrs. Cross had spent Christmas Day with Mrs. Cross’ mother, Mrs Chatfield Smith at Kings Park and Mr. Cross returned home that night, but his wife remained. Mrs. Cross leaves three brothers, residents of Kings Park, J. Willis, Edgar and Henry.

27 Dec 1924, The Times Union, Brooklyn NY, p8, View largest available size.

Edward’s half-brother Robert appears to have lived most of his life in Hempstead, a married farmer. Note that Robert’s birth year is generally given as 1835, although one obituary reports 1834. Robert’s middle name is generally spelled with a “y”, however it should be noted that the records of Christ’s First Presbyterian Church at Hempstead consistently spell it with an “i” which may in fact be correct, as that is the spelling used by relative William Sidney Mount.

Esther Mills.

Hempstead, L. I., January 31—Funeral services were held yesterday for Mrs. Esther Mills, who died at Nassau Hospital on January 27, aged 79 years, Mrs. Mills was noted in the neighborhood where she lived for her great love of flowers. The begonias she raised were the admiration of professional gardeners. The Rev. Dr. F. M. Kerr officiated at the funeral and interment was made in Greenfield Cemetery. Mrs. Miller [sic] was the wife of an old resident of Hempstead, Robert S. Mills, and the daughter of Richard and Phebe Losea, She was born in East Williston, and was married in 1858. For some years previous to coming to Hempstead village to live, Mr. and Mrs. Mills occupied the Richard Losea homestead, about two miles from the village. This house is nearly one hundred years old, and is still a landmark. Mrs. Mills was a member of the Presbyterian Church and a devoted wife and mother. The golden wedding of Mr. and Mrs. Mills was quietly celebrated three years ago at their Grove street residence, where the funeral services were held. Besides her husband, Mrs. Mills is survived by one son, William H. Mills, of Brooklyn.

31 Jan 1911, The Brooklyn Daily Eagle, Brooklyn NY, p12, View largest available size.

The funeral service of Robert Mills was held at the residence of Mrs. Mott, 200 Main street, yesterday afternoon, the Rev. Dr. Kerr, officiating. Interment was in Greenfield. Mr. Mills’ death occurred Sunday evening after a brief illness from Bright’s disease. He was in his 78th year. One son survives, William H. Mills of Brooklyn. Mr. Mills was born at Smithtown, November 11, 1834, When quite a young man he engaged in farming, which he successfully conducted for a number of years, part of that time upon a place south of the village, where he married July 21, 1858, Esther Hinman Losea. A few years ago they observed the 50th anniversary of their wedding. A little more than a year ago, Mrs. Mills died. Mr. Mills living in the village after retiring from farming, had a kindly greeting for all and often expressed pleasure in the growth and progress of our village.

Uploaded by anonymous user to View largest available size.

18 Jan 1912, The Brooklyn Daily Eagle, Brooklyn NY, p12, View largest available size.

26 Jan 1912, South Side Signal, Babylon NY, p8, View largest available size.

The Long Island Museum of American Art, History, & Carriages, owns many works of the artist William Sidney Mount (26 Nov 1807 to 19 Nov 1868), who is another descendant of Timothy Mills and who is “generally considered the first major artist to paint the activities of everyday American life”. In the mid-1800’s, Mount painted many portraits, including members of the Mills family.

According to Alfred Frankenstein’s index of Mount’s works, Mount painted the following Mills family members:

  • Elizabeth Mills (1843) This work is in our collection at LIM

  • William Wickham Mills Esqr. (1829 & 1856)

  • Mrs. (Eliza Ann) William Wickham Mills (1855)

— 27 Sep 2022, Andrea Squeri, The Long Island Museum, personal correspondence.

01 Feb 1856, Portrait of William Wickham Mills by William Sidney Mount, Frick Art Reference Library, CatalogID 991000216459707141, View largest available size.

(William Wickham Mills’ son Horatio W. Mills (21 Oct 1837 to 28 Jun 1880) died in the Seawanhaka disaster.)

William Mount’s Wikipedia entry shows a photograph of the artist taken by Mathew Brady, one of the earliest photographers in American history, famous for his photographs of the Civil War and prominent public figures. Mount also produced several self portraits in the collection of the Long Island Museum. The Metropolitan Museum of Art also houses many of Mount’s paintings and sketches, and his works can be found in many other museum collections. More information on William Mount can be found here.

The Archives at Queens Library contains two boxes of materials of the “Mills Family of Jamaica and Mills Pond” that includes a reference to Jonas Mills in the scope notes, and talks of correspondence among the descendants of Timothy Mills in the 1870’s (when Edward’s family was in Corfu).

Historical Biographical Note

This collection documents the Mills Family of Long Island. The family originated in Buffalo, New York and moved to Long Island in the 1800’s. Most of the information included in this collection was organized and collected by James H. Mills through correspondence with fellow family members and work done by B.F. Thompson. The collection contains several logs of Mills Family descendants and related families from other territories in America. There are also letters from Henry/Harry Mills dated from 1871-1874. Henry/Harry Mills seems to have done a lot of research on family history. The bulk of the collection focuses on the descendants of Timothy Mills an early settler of Mills Pond, Long Island.

Scope And Content Note

The Mills Family of Jamaica and Mills Pond, Long Island (2 boxes, 1675-1900) contains material documenting the genealogy of the Mills Family of Jamaica, Long Island. The collection is made up of letters and logs of Mills Family descendants. Research consists of various logs and lists of family members. There are also letters and listings of Mill Family members from other parts on the United States. This collection was donated to the Buffalo History Museum by Louise Olmsted, whose family were close friends of the Mills Family located in Buffalo. The collection was donated to the Queens Library Archives in August 2015. The original finding aid for this collection is included with this finding aid. A description of each folder’s contents is located within each folder of the collection. The Mills Family (19 folders, 1879-1895) series has been broken down by specific family members. The specific members are: Isaac Mills (5 folders, 1879-1893) Jonas Mills (1 folder, 1893) Jonathan Mills (3 folders, 1879-1895) Timothy Mills (10 folders, 1739-1896) The series for each contains information on various relatives for each member. The information includes spouses and children. The Research series (5 folders, 1675-1876) contains the forms and documents used for accumulating the history of the Mills Family. The other series in the collection Various Relatives (6 folders, 1636-1900) consists of material related to other relatives of the Mills Family that lived outside of the Jamaica and Long Island area.

The Mills Family of Jamaica and Mills Pond, Long Island, Archives at Queens Library, Queens Borough Public Library, Jamaica NY.

Of course, there are several Jonas Mills in the genealogy, but the dates given suggests this could be a reference to Edward’s father. But even if this is a different branch of the Mills family, the genealogical records, etc., may provide important data on the family members investigated here.

The collection contains nine portraits of family members, only two of which are explicitly identified, and all of which seem to be taken in photography studios in Buffalo. Queens Public Library obtained the portraits from the Buffalo History Museum. The Queens collection also contains a photocopy of a photo of the Mills home in Buffalo, and the original is presently still owned by the Buffalo History Museum:

If I recall correctly, the photo of the house in Buffalo was the only thing we retained from the Mills family collection. Everything else, photos and papers, was transferred to Queens.

However, we do have other loose photos of individuals in A-Z order by surname. I checked and these are the only people named Mills:

  • John H. Mills, Company D, appears to be a Civil War soldier portrait.
  • Edward M. Mills, ca. 1915. He is a young man in this photo, so he is not the Edward Mills who died in 1908.
  • Robert Mills, ca. 1880, as an elderly man.
— 28 Jun 2022, Cynthia Van Ness, The Buffalo History Museum, personal correspondence.

After further investigation, to see if the 1880 Robert Mills could possibly be Edward H. Mills’ half brother Robert Sydney Mills, I confirmed the photo is of Robert Mills (unknown to 11 Dec 1890), an “Ex-Police Commissioner” and also “one of the most prominent builders and operators in lake vessels at this port”, including one shipped named “Robert Mills” (11 Dec 1890, The Buffalo Commercial, Buffalo NY, p8). More information on this Robert Mills here.

A document worth highlighting in the Queens collection is the will of Timothy Mills, the common ancestor. (A copy of his will can be found in the volume A Documentary history of the family of Mills : descended from George Mills of Hempstead and Jamaica by Lewis D. Cook.) And in addition to materials related to Buffalo,the inventory of the collection indicates there are Mills living in New Jersey, Ohio and Michigan, and intriguingly, Naples NY, possibly confirming a relation to the Horace Mills of that region. The references to Buffalo and Naples may also provide context for the Mills’ move to Corfu.

The collection also contains genealogies and other information on the following surnames that can be found, often multiple times, throughout the Mills genealogy:

  • Burnet
  • Davis
  • Halstead
  • Hawkins
  • Miller
  • Roe
  • Rudyard
  • Smith

Of particular interest is Hawkins: Hawkins is the maiden name of Bartlett Brown’s mother, although I have not explored the genealogy well enough to make a definitive connection. (Bartlett Brown is described in The Mills Family in Staten Island.) William Mount’s grandparents are Jonas Hawkins (28 Aug 1752 to 24 Apr 1817) and Ruth (Mills) Hawkins (1748 to 22 Jan 1840), daughter of Jonathon Mills (28 Oct 1710 to 28 Oct 1798). During his childhood, William Mount lived for a time with his uncle Micah Hawkins (01 Jan 1777 to 29 Jul 1825), widely credited as “the author and composer of the first original American Opera”, and who at one time “kept a grocery store in Catharine St. New York.”

Micah Hawkins was a musical genius and could perform creditably upon the piano, flute or violin. He composed many songs and musical pieces which were published and proved to be popular. Several copies of original editions of these publications are still in possession of members of the family. He is best known however, as the author and composer of the first original American Opera, entitled "The Saw Mill," which had a satisfactory run at Henry Wallack's Chatham Theatre in New York city, during 1824. Besides his musical activities Micah Hawkins kept a grocery store in Catharine St. New York, in which was installed a piano and he was wont to regale his customers with a little music when they visited his shop.

He was a pleasant conversationalist, possessed a ready vein of wit and withal a good singer. It especially pleased him to sing his own songs which he did with great gusto. His portrait painted by Louis Child and retouched by his nephew William S. Mount, hangs in the Hawkins-Mount house at Stony Brook L. I. where he was born. It is said of him that he always wore a white cravat, which fact is attested by the portrait. Micah Hawkins was a close friend of Benjamin F. Thompson, the historian, who did much to encourage him in his musical efforts. For a further account of this interesting individual see Oscar Wegelin's "Micah Hawkins and The Saw Mill."

Of the printed edition of the "Saw Mill" only two copies are know to be in existence today, one belonging to Brown University and the other in the hands of a private collector. The book is therefore much sought after by collectors of Americana, particularly those interested in early drama.

— 1919, Genealogies of Long Island families : a collection of genealogies relating to the following Long Island families: Dickerson, Mitchill, Wickham, Carman, Raynor, Rushmore, Satterly, Hawkins, Arthur Smith, Mills, Howard, Lush, Greene, Compiled by Charles J. Werner, Mainly From Records Left By Benjamin F. Thompson, Historian of Long Island, Logan Utah FamilySearch Library, p91-92,

According to information from an exhibition of William S. Mount’s works at the Long Island Museum, Micah Hawkins had his piano specially built into the counter of the store he operated.

The portrait mentioned above:


Author of first American Opera

From an oil portrait by Louis Child and W. S. Mount

1919, Genealogies of Long Island families : a collection of genealogies relating to the following Long Island families: Dickerson, Mitchill, Wickham, Carman, Raynor, Rushmore, Satterly, Hawkins, Arthur Smith, Mills, Howard, Lush, Greene, Compiled by Charles J. Werner, Mainly From Records Left By Benjamin F. Thompson, Historian of Long Island, Logan Utah FamilySearch Library, p84, View largest available size.

ca. 1815, Micah Hawkins by Louis Child, retouched by William Sidney Mount, Frick Art Reference Library, Record Number b13024036, View largest available size.

The image from The Frick Collection is a photographic reproduction of the painting taken around 1950, in other words, it represents the version of the portrait retouched by William Mount, and therefore, the version shown in Genealogies of Long Island Families must be the original portrait by Louis Child. According to The Frick Collection records, the painting was on loan from Suffolk Museum, Stony Brook, where it was part of their permanent collection. The Suffolk Museum was a previous name for The Long Island Museum in Stony Brook.

There is also the following purported image of Micah Hawkins, found in A Hawkins Genealogy 1635-1939 by Ralph Clymer Hawkins, Published by The Hawkins Association, which appears quite different still.

View largest available size.

Based on a review of the Queens Public Library collection’s inventory, it appears it may contain source information used in writing the following history:



An Important Genealogical Document Embodying Much New and Valuable Information—History of the Mills Family in America.

We publish herewith a portion of the genealogy of the Mills’ family, which was compiled by Rev. Dr. S. W. Mills, of this village and read at the meeting of the M. V. H. S., at Glenette, Saturday, June 21. It embodies much information in regard to that family not hitherto made public. The remainder of the article will appear in tomorrow’s UNION.

The name of Mills, which is found in so many parts of our country, appears to be chiefly of English origin. There are those who bear the name who are of Holland extraction. In the early settlement of New England there was one Peter Water Van der Mulin, who emigrated from Holland and settled at Windsor, Conn., and took the English name of Mills. (The English of Van der Mulin is from the Mills). This same name is found among the earlier settlers of Hartford, Conn. Of his descendants we know nothing, but it is quite probable there are those living who can trace their ancestry back to him.

Of those of English extraction we know more. The name of Milnes or Mills, otherwise De Molis, was found in Devon, England, in 1083 6. It was derived from Meulles, Normandy. It is supposed to have been brought there in the time of William the Conquerer, who introduced the Norman language into England about 1066. Lord Haughton (Milne) has been a member of Gladstone’s Cabinet in this year, 1894. Under the various forms of Mill, Mills, Milne, Milles and Mylles, the naine is found in Yorkshire in 1530, 1560, 1584, 1612, 1627 and 1665. In Sussex county. England, it appears as follows: Geffry ‘Atte Milne 1307-27; Agnes ‘Atte Milne’, John ’Atte Mull’ alias Mill, Lord of Gretham 1366 ; Robert ‘Atte Mulle’ alias Mills of Gilford, Surry county, 1377-1399 ; John ’Atte Mille’ of Pullborough, 1366 ; Robert Mill of Sussex 1422-1461; John Mylle 1578 ; Sir Richard Mill (b) 1690.

The first emigrant by the name of Mills from England of whom we have knowledge was John Mills, who came over in the fleet with Gov. Winthrop in 1629 or 1630. His name stood No. 33 on the roll of the first church in Boston, where two of his daughters (Joy and Remembrance) were baptised in October, 1630. He was made freeman in Boston, March 6, 1632. He resided there ten years and then removed to Braintree, Mass., where in 1653 he was clerk of Braintree. In his will made June 1670, he expresses the wish that his son John, to whom he gave his estate, “would bring up one of his sons to the ministry, as this had been the calling of his predecessors to the third if not the fourth generation.”

There was one Richard Mills who was called the “Pioneer Schoolmaster” of New York, who lived on Long Island and in Connecticut ; Samuel Mills, who lived at Dedham, Mass., and Samuel Mills, who lived at Windsor, Conn., all of whom came from England at a very early date, but the precise year not known. How they were related and who were their descendants we have not learned.

George Mills was probably the ancestor of the Long Island Mills. He came from Yorkshire, England, and was born about 1605, and died at Jamaica, L. I., Oct. 17, 1694, aged 89 years, His name is found on the town records of Hempstead and Jamaica in Feb. 16, 1656, and Nov. 25, 1656, when he was granted a home lot in each town. Some have supposed that this George was a brother of John, who came over with Gov. Winthrop, but no proof of the fact has yet been found.

Samuel, a son of George, was born in this country in 1631, and died at Jamaica in March, 1726, aged 95. A notice of his death appeared in the N. Y. Gazette of March 12, 1726, in which it was stated that he was able to do a good day’s work but a few days before he died. He had 16 children, nine of whom were living at the time of his death, 80 grandchildren and 54 great grandchildren.

Jonathan Mills, who lived at Jamaica, and whose wife was Martha, was probably the son of George. The date of his birth and death are not known. On March 30. 1677, he bought of Jonas Halstead and his son Joseph, a piece of land owned by them jointly. His wife, Martha, was living in 1710, as well as himself. They had four children, Timothy, Samuel, Isaac and Jonathan, jr. Of these, Timothy was born in 1667, and moved from Jamaica to Mills’ Pond, four mils from Smithtown, in 1693, the first of the name to locate there, and where he died March 30, 1751. By his first wife, Elizabeth, he had two children, and by his second, Sarah, eleven. Of these eleven the sixth was Jonathon, who was born Oct. 23, 1710, who was the father of Jacob Mills, Windsor, born Dec 22, 1746, and who subsequently settled in the town of New Windsor, Orange county, N. Y.

Jonathan Mills married April 3, 1737, Ruth. Rudyard, daughter of John Rudyard of Perth Amboy, N. J., by whom he had six children. On January 25, 1756, he married Dorothy Miller, by whom he had three children. He lived at Mills Pond, where he died Oct, 23, 1798, Of the six children by his first wife, Jacob and Timothy were twins.

The first person by the name of Mills (of the Long Island Mills) who settled in Orange county of whom we have any account, was Timothy, son of Timothy the first settler at Mills Pond, by his second wife, Sarah. He married Margaret Rudyard, daughter of John Rudyard of Perth Amboy, N. J. About 1752 a division of his father’s land on Long Island was made, and he appears to have left Mills Pond and to have settled at New Windsor, which was then in Ulster county. His deed, recorded in Ulster county Deeds (F. F. 465), dated May 20, 1754, states that he is of the precinct of Wallkill, in the county of Ulster. He bought for £370 a tract of 571 acres of land from the Garret Schuyler and Hans Ulrick Bindor heirs, who lived in New York. His will was recorded in New York in 1780, in which he mentions his sons, John, Jonathan and Daniel, and his daughters, Joannah and Anah, and also his wife, Margaret. No trace hag been found of the descendants of this Timothy Mills.

27 Jul 1894, Port Jervis Union, Port Jervis NY, p3, View largest available size.



An Important Genealogical Document Embodying Much New and Valuable Information—History of the Mills Family in America.

Concluded from yesterday.

Jacob Mills, who subsequently settled in New Windsor, was a nephew of the Timothy just mentioned. His father was Jonathan Mills of Mills’s Pond by Ruth Rudyard, his first wife. Jacob and his twin brother were born Dec. 22nd, 1746. Timothy married a Miss Miller and settled in Saratoga county, N. Y. His grandson, Thomas H., lived at Ballston, N. Y., in 1880.

The Mills on Long Island were of English descent and it would seem quite clear that they came from Yorkshire, England, to this country about 1630, locating at first in New England and some of them soon after on Long Island. The Hempstead settlement on Long Island, which began about 1644 and where the name of George Mills was found on the town records, was called a Yorkshire settlement. When Long Island was captured by the English from the Dutch they found on the west end a Yorkshire settlement called Long Island Yorkshire.

When Jacob Mills grew up to manhood, the British law was in force here and the custom of primogeniture in full operation. In accordance with this custom his older brother fell heir to the landed estate while he was taught the trades of tanning and currying and of shoemaking, which in those days were combined together, especially on Long Island. When he was about nineteen years of age he entered upon a series of whaling voyages, going for this purpose in the spring with other young men to Nantucket and from there embarking for Greenland, as it was called, the only whaling fishery then known. These voyages lasted usually six or seven months, when he would return home and work at his trade in the winter, whipping the cat, as it was called, going from house to house. There were no wages on the vessel, but a certain portion of the cash was allotted to each one according to his position. In this way he accumulated quite a little sum during the three voyages made by him, the last one especially being quite successful.

At just what time he came to Orange county, is not known, but it was probably between 1768 and 1770, or when from twenty-two to twenty-four years of age. He bought a tract of land four miles back of New Windsor, built himself a house and started a small tannery, conducting at the same time farming, tanning, currying and shoe-making. He lived here as a bachelor for two or three years until his marriage to Catharine Denton, of Goshen, Dec. 27th, 1773. He was not in the army during the Revolution as his trade was required to furnish shoes for the soldiers. He belonged to a militia company and when the British were coming up the Hudson river to attack Fort Montgomery, his company was suddenly ordered out to march the next morning to the defence of the Fort. He marched with the company after having worked all night to make a pair of shoes for one of the men, who was barefoot. The Fort, however, had been taken by the British before his company reached it.

He furnished, he said, a large number of shoes for the army, but at the close of the war his money was worthless and he had to begin life anew. His place, however, was paid for and he had this advantage.

A few years after the war, the year is not known, he sold his place in New Windsor and bought 2,250 acres in the town of Wallkill, about five miles north of Middletown and moved his family there, the place having been known for many years of late as Millsburgh. The price paid by him for his large tract of land he has been heard to say was thirteen shillings and six-pence happeny per acre in Continental money. Here he started again a tannery consisting at first of but four vats on which he could tan about two-hundred hides, but which was subsequently greatly enlarged. He at first lived on what was known as the Smith place, half a mile or more south-east of the tannery and east of the direct road leading to Scotchtown. In 1791 he built the stone house near the tannery, employing for this purpose a mason from Little Brittian, all the mortar for which building, was carried by his son Samuel, then but fifteen years of age. This house he then occupied until 1807, when he built the large frame dwelling a little north of it in which he lived with his son Charles and where he died in 1841, in the 95th year of his age.

The stone house, tannery and farm connected therewith formerly occupied by him, he gave to his sun, Samuel. He was one of the leading persons in the erection of the Presbyteriam church at Scotchtown. Besides contributing liberally in money for this purpose he kept his team there constantly during the time of its erection.

He had twelve children, six sons and six daughters. Seven of these were probably born in New Windsor. Jacob, jr., was born in Wallkill in 1791, the year in which the stone house was erected. All of these but one, Catharine, were married and had families of their own, All but one, Wm. Wickham, lived and died in Orange county. This one married at Mills Pond, L. I., where he subsequently lived and died.

The grandchildren of Jacob Mills numbered 97, being evenly divided as to sex, 48 males and 49 females. The males have nearly all been farmers and the females have uniformly married farmers. Of these 97, one has been a physician, one a lawyer and one a clergyman. They have had but little aspiration for office or political distinction. Except a town office like that of roadmaster, but one among them all has held anything higher, he having served one term as Sheriff of the county of Orange.

In addition to the Mills who settled in New England and on Long Island, referred to in this sketch, there were emigrants by this name (three, it has been said) who, in the early history of the country, settled in Virginia, and their descendants are to be found in the other southern states. Roger Q. Mills, the present U. S. Senator from Texas, (1894) says that his great grandfather, Charles Mills, lived in Hanover Co., Va. He says that he has met a number of persons by this name from the north, but has been unable to trace any relationship to them, but yet is satisfied that several generations back they all came from the same stock.

28 Jul 1894, Port Jervis Union, Port Jervis NY, p2, View largest available size.

These two articles were also re-printed as one item in the 02 Aug 1894 edition of the Tri-States Union in Port Jervis NY, p2, which I show here for purposes of comparing the text to the previous two articles.

02 Aug 1894, Tri-States Union, Port Jervis NY, p2, View largest available size.

The author, a prominent resident of Port Jervis in Orange County NY:


1895, Portrait and biographical record of Orange county, New York. Chapman Publishing Company, Chicago IL, p844, View largest available size.

More information about Reverend Mills as well as his genealogical research on file at Minisink Valley Historical Society can be found here.

Also note that James Harrison Mills of Buffalo was also researching the Mills family genealogy at approximately the same time:

This James Harrison Mills, a real estate and loan broker of 446 Main St., Buffalo, N.Y., compiled an extensive pedigree of the Mills Family, and corresponded on the subject in the years 1893-1895 with Mr. Thomas Morton Paton Mills of New York City on that subject. His letters and pedigree outlines, of which this present compilation is a review and amplification, are in the possession of the latter's daughter, Mrs. Robert B. Carnahan, Jr., The Croydon, N.Y.C., 1939.
— A Documentary history of the family of Mills : descended from George Mills of Hempstead and Jamaica by Lewis D. Cook, p57-58,

For more information on James Harrison Mills, see the Mills of Buffalo.

Although I am still working my way through the Mills genealogy, it appears unlikely there are living descendants of Edward’s parents, however, I am finding living descendants of Jonas and second wife Mary Platt Mills, in particular, there are descendants of Edward’s half-brother Robert Sydney Mills who for a few generations have lived in Salt Lake City Utah and are members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Genealogical data accumulated through this research can be downloaded here. The file format is based on the Gramps 4.2 documentation (cached version).